Your PAs have 3 words of advice in terms of furnishing your apartment – delivery, delivery, delivery! Almost everything in NYC can be delivered for a fee, and many places include free delivery as well – always keep in mind that it is very difficult to transport furniture yourself through NYC!
Below is a hodge-podge list of potential stores to check out when furnishing your apartment.
- Ikea (offers weekend shuttle buses travel from New York City (Port Authority, 42nd Street) to the Ikea in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Call 1-800-BUS-IKEA for more info.
- Craigslist is useful for a host of household items, furniture, services and more
- Target is great for inexpensive items like bookshelves, towels, kitchen goods, etc. (located in East Harlem, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and New Jersey).
- Macy’s is a large department store that delivers furniture and mattresses
- Jennifer Convertibles delivers sofas that convert to beds
- Amazon.com – has everything!
- Bed, Bath & Beyond has a wide range of household necessities and furnishings
In terms of buying a new mattress, you can check out 1-800 Mattress or Sleepy’s – and don’t forget to purchase Bed Bug protection for your mattress! (e.g. http://bit.ly/kjMAWV)
Additional Stores to Consider
Century 21 – 22 Cortlandt Street 212 227-9092
Columbia Hardware – 2905 Broadway (between 113th and 114th Streets), 212 662-2150
Crate & Barrel – 650 Madison Avenue (59th Street), 212 308-0011
Discount Stores – 32nd Street (between Broadway and 7th Avenue) Odd Job, Weber’s, Jack’s and more…
Gothic Cabinet Craft – 2652 Broadway (between West 100th and 101st Streets), 212 749-2020
House of Futon – 637 Broadway (between Bleecker and Houston Streets, in SoHo), 212 529-9190
Kmart – 1 Pennsylvania Plaza at 250 West 34th Street (between 7th and 8th Avenues), 212 760-1188
Macy’s Herald Square – 7th Avenue at 34th Street, 212 695-4400
99¢ Discount Store – between Broadway and Amsterdam on West 125th Street
Pottery Barn – 1965 Broadway at West 67th Street, 212 579-8477
Webers – East side of Broadway at 71st Street
Zabar’s (Upstairs) – 2245 Broadway (between 80th and 81st Streets), 212 787-2000
Used Furniture / Flea Markets
Aunt Meriam’s – 435 West 125th Street 212 531-0322
Columbus Avenue Flea Market at 77th Street and Columbus Avenue on Sunday
Flea Market – 26th Street and 6th Avenue on Saturday and Sunday
Salvation Army – 536 West 46th Street (between 10th and 11th Avenue), 212 664-8563, 268 West 96th Street at Broadway, 212 663-2258
Cort – 49 West 23rd Street www.relocationcentral.com
International Furniture Rentals – 345 Park Avenue between 51-52nd Street www.rent-ifr.com
Metro Furniture Rentals – 310 Fifth Avenue 212 736-4200