Visas and Work Authorization

Peer Advisors are not visa experts, and many of your fellow international students aren’t either! Your best bet for visa advice is to contact the University’s ISSO (International Students and Scholars Office) at 212-854-3587 or They will respond to your emails usually within 24 hours, and are the only qualified people to answer immigration questions.

ISSO Address
524 Riverside Drive (north of 122nd St.)

Further information on F-1 visas: click here

Some more information on working in the US during your MBA:

Most international students entering in the fall are eligible to accept a summer internship here. The majority elect to register for the MBA Field Studies course (B9002) so that any employment is considered Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and part of the student’s program of study. After completion of all degree requirements, F-1 status students are generally eligible to work in the U.S. for a maximum of 12 months through Optional Practical Training (OPT). Students should be aware, though, that not all recruiting organizations seeking to fill positions in the U.S. will consider candidates who do not hold permanent U.S. work authorization.

To apply for CPT, the students must first present an offer letter from the employer (offering a summer internship and expliciting the dates to begin and end the internship). bring the letter to Student Academic Affairs (Uris 105) to request a form for CPT. Bring the form signed and stamped to ISSO and request the CPT authorization. It should take between 2-3 business days and you will be notified by email to get the CPT at ISSO office.

With the CPT authorization you will be eligible to apply for a social security number. Ask ISSO for a SSN request form where it will show you where to go and all the documents necessary to present. Be prepared to wait in line for a little while at most Social Security offices in NYC.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s